I love to entertain and have friends over. And it’s even better when you have some tried and true recipes to stand by without using your guests as guinea pigs! This is a recipe, is one I’ve “borrowed” from my dad. His original inspiration was at Po restaurant in NYC, it’s really great there too just a lot more oily!
This appetizer is inexpensive to make and quite a crowd pleaser!
- 1 can cannellini (white) beans beans
- 1/2 large vidalia (sweet) onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3-4 ribs celery
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2-3 TB extra virgin olive oil (or more if you prefer)
- 2 TB balsamic vinegar
- salt & pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients, marinate in refrigerator for a few hours.
Serve bruschetta style on sliced bread, or in a bowl with bread & crackers for dipping (that’s what I do).
Nutrition Tidbit: Why beans are great:
- They are cheap! 1 can is typically 99 cents and provides 3.5 servings!
- Good for those on restrictive diets (gluten free, vegan, and others)
- They are a great source of protein and are naturally fat free
- They are a great source of fiber, which helps to keep you full and keep you regular.
- Beans are extremely versatile: add them to soups, salads, ground meat, stir-fries, rice, and even brownies!
- They provide iron (good for those who eliminate meat from their diet)