Eating healthy does not have to be boring, in fact I think healthy eating can be and should be delicious! That’s why I try to create foods that I’m craving at home in healthy ways.
I was inspired by my spaghetti squash and tomato sauce from the previous evening, and decided chicken parmesan would be perfect!
Recipe: Chicken Parmesan
- 4 thinly sliced chicken breasts, approximately 3-4 oz each (i use Murray’s which is antibiotic free)
- 1/3 cup whole wheat italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Line baking sheet with aluminum foil & coat with cooking spray
- Trim any extra fat from chicken breasts
- Place breadcrumbs in a shallow dish, and place large egg white in another shallow dish
- Dip chicken breast in egg whites and then in breadcrumbs and place on cookie sheet. Continue with the remaining breasts.
- Place in oven and cook for 15-20 minutes, thicker breasts will take longer (these are 3 ounces each)
- Remove breasts from oven, top with tomato sauce and 1/2 ounce fresh mozzarella cheese
- Turn oven to broil, add chicken breasts back in and broil for 2-4 minutes until the cheese becomes bubbly and starts to brown – watch yours closely so they do not burn!
- Serve over pasta or spaghetti squash or place on a hero for a chicken parmesan sub!
Here is my dinner plate: chicken parmesan served over spaghetti squash with tomato sauce and a side of roasted kale.
Nutrition Information: one 3 ounce breast of chicken
208 calories, 8 grams fat, 3 grams saturated fat, 9 grams carbohydrate, 2 grams fiber, 24 grams protein
Nutrition Tidbit: Breadcrumbs
- Most packaged breadcrumbs contain trans fat. Check ingredients for partially hydrogenated oil. In addition they have an extremely long list of ingredients, with a lot of chemicals and preservatives.
- It’s easy to make your own with stale bread in the food processor.
- Or you can buy some healthier brands (Jaclyn’s or Ian’s)
- I really like Jaclyn’s Italian Seasoned Whole Wheat Bread Crumbs
- The ingredients are really simple: organic whole wheat flour, organic wheat flour, malted barley extract, sea salt, spices (basil, oregano, thyme), organic brown rice flour, garlic powder, onion powder, yeast, parsley flakes, paprika
- You can easily buy the unseasoned ones too and add your own salt, pepper and your favorite herbs & spices!
- Whole wheat versus white will give you some extra fiber, every serving of these breadcrumbs has 4 grams of fiber! Helping to keep you full longer.
- Also make sure to check sodium, packaged goods and pre-seasoned products can be very high in sodium, these breadcrumbs have 130 mg per serving which is reasonable.
- Try breading other things next time – it’s a great way to add a lot of flavor and crunch without frying!