It’s cold outside! Most of the country is experiencing abnormally cold weather. As a result, you’re probably turning to hot drinks and foods to warm you up.
One of my favorite winter treats is hot cocoa. It brings me right back to childhood. After long days sledding outside, my mom always made me a nice cup of hot cocoa (and always from scratch). I don’t remember the last time I went sledding, but I do have hot cocoa every now and then. I think it is the perfect comforting warm drink.
Here’s how I make my own hot cocoa, so it’s full of flavor but not fat and calories.
Simple Hot Cocoa
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 TB unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp sugar
Combine cocoa powder and sugar in a mug, stir to combine. Add 1-2 TB of milk and mix, to create a paste. Microwave paste for 15 seconds, then mix again to get mixture smooth. This will prevent big clumps from forming at the bottom of your mug. Add the rest of your milk and microwave for 1 minute, continue microwaving for 15 second intervals to desired temperature. Enjoy!
Nutrition Facts: 150 calories, 0.5 grams fat, 23 grams carbohydrate, 9 grams protein
Nutrition Tidbit: Hot Cocoa
- When making hot cocoa make sure to buy unsweetened cocoa powder, this allows you to control how much sugar to add.
- Avoid the packaged hot chocolate mixes, the traditional ones have a lot of sugar and fat added to them. The diet ones are loaded with artificial sweeteners and chemicals.
- Make hot cocoa with milk for a protein and calcium boost, it also makes the drink so much creamier and filling!
- I used Nestle unsweetened cocoa powder. On the side of the container, their recipe for hot cocoa amounted to 220 calories instead of my 150 calories, and that’s using skim milk.
- At Starbucks, be careful when ordering hot chocolate! Choose a tall nonfat no whip hot chocolate which will clock in at 190 calories and 2 grams fat (still more sugar than my recipe, but the healthiest option there). If you opt for a grande whole milk with whip hot chocolate you will be sipping down 400 calories and 20 grams of fat!
What is your favorite warm drink?