I wanted to share with you a delicious recipe I recently made. Risotto is typically a heavier dish made with butter and lots of cheese. However, it’s possible to make this delicious creamy rice dish without all the fat. Risotto is such a comforting winter dish to me.
This recipe is sweet from the sweet onions and sweet potatoes and incredibly creamy from the risotto method, white beans and parmesan cheese. Let me know what you think!
White Bean & Sweet Potato Risotto
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 medium cooked sweet potato, diced, skin removed
- 1 can white beans, drained
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat dutch oven over medium heat, add oil. Once hot add in onions and saute until transluscent, then add garlic cloves and stir until fragrant (do not let them burn).
- Add risotto, and mix so that each piece of rice is covered in oil and becomes slightly transluscent around the edges.
- Add white wine to pan and let all the liquid evaporate (if you don’t have wine on hand you can use all broth).
- Once liquid is evaporated, add 1/2 cup of broth mixing until evaporated. Continue adding broth until rice reaches desired consistency.
- Add in cooked diced sweet potato (skinless), white beans, thyme and parmesan cheese to heat through. Season with salt & pepper.
Nutrition Information (Serves 4): Each serving – 387 calories, 6 grams fat, 1 gram saturated fat, 69 grams carbohydrate, 11 grams fiber, 14 grams protein
Sorry for the delay in posting this week…it’s been insane around here!