Well technically it’s not a grain at all, Quinoa is a seed! Quinoa has made it’s name known over the last few years for being a super food. Do you know what all the hype is about?
Here are some facts:
- Quinoa was first discovered in South America
- It is a complete protein, unlike other grains that are missing certain amino acids.
- It is a very good source of manganese and a good source of magnesium, iron, copper and phosphorus. Magnesium has been show to help with migraines and cardiovascular health.
- Quinoa is a whole grain which provides a myriad of benefits.
- Provides antioxidants and phytonutrients to help reduce the risk of disease.
- The Nutrition Profile is as follows 1/4 cup uncooked: 170 calories, 2.5 grams fat (0 g saturated), 30 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 4 grams fiber, and 6 grams protein.
Cooking Recommendations: To prevent a bland end product (most common complaint I hear!)
- Always rinse in a fine mesh sieve before cooking, this will remove any bitterness. Do not skip this step!
- If you will be serving it as a simple side dish, cook in chicken or vegetable broth for added flavor.
- First sauté garlic and onions, then add the quinoa and broth to all cook together.
- It tastes delicious tossed with salad dressing (if you do this you don’t need to cook it in broth).
- Add it to soups and stews instead of rice or pasta.
Dressed Quinoa: Serves 4
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 2 TB sherry vinegar
- 2 TB plus 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 tsp dijon vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sautee 1/2 sweet onion and 2 garlic cloves in 1 tsp olive oil. Add in 1 cup rinsed quinoa and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 10-15 minutes (grains should start to become slightly transluscent).
- Combine sherry vinegar, olive oil, honey, dijon mustard, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss cooked quinoa with salad dressing.
Nutrition Information per serving: 262 calories, 10 grams fat, 1 gram saturated fat, 37 grams carbohydrate, 4 grams fiber, and 6 grams protein