It’s been a long cold winter and with that comes a period of time with little fruit variety. As much as I love clementines, I’m starting to get a little tired of them! Well the time has come – I’m seeing berries at the supermarket and they’re reasonably priced! Now it’s not really the season yet, but I sure was excited to include strawberries and blueberries in my breakfast this morning!
- They taste great! Who can argue with that?!
- They are low in calories and high in fiber (think volume food!)
- They contain high levels of antioxidants and phytonutrients which help to fight disease.
My Favorite Ways to Incorporate Berries:
- In my morning yogurt or cereal bowl
- As an oatmeal topping
- To top waffles of French Toast
- Added to salads for a sweet touch
- Dipped in chocolate for dessert
- Served by themselves for a delicious ending to a meal
- Strawberries and Raspberries are on the list of the “dirty dozen” meaning they contain very high levels of pesticides.
- If you have the monetary means you may want to consider buying organic varieties for these berries.
- However, the nutritional benefit of conventional berries still outweighs the negative, so if you can’t get organic don’t avoid them!
What’s your favorite berry and how do you like to eat it?