It’s hot out today! For those in the Northeast, you know what I’m talking about. I think they said the high is 86 degrees – that’s unheard of for the beginning of April!
As a result you’re probably tempted to get yourself an afternoon drink to cool down. Well before you do, make sure you order carefully so you aren’t downing more calories than you bargained for.
Beware of Frappucinos, Blended Coffee Drinks, and other Flavored Iced Drinks
- Starbucks: Grande caramel frappuccino with whipped cream has 380 calories, 15 grams of fat, 9 of them saturated!
- Starbucks: Grande green tea frappuccino with whipped cream has 490 calories, 14 grams of fat, 7 of them saturated! And you thought green tea was healthy?!
- Starbucks: Grande Iced Pepperment White Chocolate Mocha made with 2% milk and with whipped cream (their default) has 520 calories, 20 grams of fat and 13 grams of saturated fat!
- Dunkin Donuts: Medium Coffee Coolatta made with cream has 600 calories, 35 grams of fat, and 22 grams of saturated fat.
- Dunkin Donuts: Medium Iced Coffee with cream and sugar (doesn’t sound so bad) clocks in with 190 calories, 9 grams of fat, and 5 grams of saturated fat just for an iced coffee!
- Starbucks: Grande caramel (or other flavored) light frappuccino without whipped cream for a reasonable 160 calories and 1.5 grams of fat.
- Starbucks: Grande Iced Skinny Vanilla (or other flavor) latte comes in at 80 calories and 0 grams of fat.
- Dunkin Donuts: Small Coffee Coolata made with skim meal for a more reasonable 210 calories and 0 grams of fat.
- Plain iced coffee or tea add skim milk or soy milk.
- Check the menu online before you head out for your afternoon treat to see if you can track down the calories.
- Always order skim milk or soy milk if you prefer.
- Go for a light syrup or ask for one pump only of the regular syrup.
- Skip the whip!
- Nonfat iced coffees, lattes, cappuccinos are always a great bet – just make sure there are not added sweeteners hidden in there.
What’s your favorite drink to cool down on a hot day?