So you’ve been feeding your baby rice cereal, but the big question you may be having is:
“When should I move on to other food besides rice cereal?!”
Well I wouldn’t rush it if I were you. Remember you may be bored with rice cereal, but your baby is not! He or she has been having the same milk (breast or formula) for the past 4-6 months and hasn’t gotten bored yet! So do not rush just because you are bored.
This is a huge learning experience and you want to give your baby time to master his or her skills before you move on.
Here’s How to Progress with Rice Cereal
- Start with one feeding per day and make it very thin
- As you progress add less and less breast milk or formula so it becomes thicker
- Continue until baby is having 2-3 feedings per day and consuming a total of 1/2 cup of prepared cereal
- This will give the baby his or her iron needs
- Spoon feeding is a huge adjustment for the baby, don’t rush it!
- This process may take 3-4 weeks
- As you progress make the cereal lumpier
Look out for posts in the coming weeks about feeding your baby fruits & veggies!