I think a lot people are curious as to what is inside a dietitian’s fridge. I like buy a variety of foods to keep things interesting, however, there are definitely staples that I almost always have.
Today’s highlight is: Hummus!
Hummus is a spread that is made of chickpeas, tahini (sesame seed paste), garlic, lemon juice, and olive oil. There can be variations of hummus with additions of roasted red peppers, spicy peppers, extra garlic or lemon juice, and many more.
Why do I love hummus?
- The flavor is amazing
- It’s made from healthy fat (olive oil and tahini)
- It’s filling due to protein (chickpeas), fiber (chickpeas) and healthy fat (olive oil and tahini)
- It is incredibly universal
Here are my favorite ways to enjoy hummus:
- As a spread on a sandwich (if you substitute hummus for mayo you will 60-80 calories per tablespoon!)
- As a dip for vegetables, crackers or pita
- As a salad dressing (thin with vinegar)
My favorite kind is Sabra…but do note that it has more calories and fat than the others. That’s why it tastes so yummy! It has about 80 calories per serving verse the 40-50 calories that most brands have.
- Even though hummus is a health food you can definitely overdo it!
- Each container has 8 servings, which adds up to 320-640 calories for the whole thing!
- Portion out a proper serving on a plate and then dip away.
What’s your favorite type of hummus?